It’s amazing how far battery powered weed eaters have come in a short few years.
No longer considered a toy, these tools are a great choice for homeowners that are looking for a good mix of convenience, ease-of-use and reasonable power. Advances in lithium-ion battery technology have been pushed primarily by electric car manufacturers, but it’s trickled down to less expensive products. That’s great news for homeowners.
Maybe you looked at cordless weed wackers in the past, and thought they weren’t powerful enough. If so, it’s time to take a second look.
This guide will help you determine if a battery powered weed eater is right for you. We lay out all the pros and cons and describe what features you need to look for when buying a weed wacker. We also have a list of the best battery powered trimmers on the market to make your buying decision even easier.
There Are Solid Reasons For Going Cordless
There are a lot of reasons as to why a consumer would choose a cordless battery powered weed eater. Here are the main benefits of the class:
- Mobility: Cordless weed eaters are light and have no cords. Without the cord, you are free to move about your yard while working.
- Easy to Use: To start a battery powered weed eater, you simply pop a battery in and push a button. There’s no need to mix gas or kill your shoulder with a pull start.
- Quiet: Aside from the trimmer heads whirling, there is virtually no noise. Your neighbors will appreciate the lack of noise pollution.
- Environment: Battery powered trimmers emit no pollutants making them a very eco-friendly tool.
- Cost Effective: Battery weed eaters cost less than gas, but still provide plenty of power.
- Really Thick Weed Growth: If you have many weeds that are thicker than a grown man’s thumb, you’ll need a thicker line than most cordless whackers can handle. Gas will probably be your best choice. This is usually a problem if you live next to open fields of weeds.
- An Estate-Sized Yard: If you need to take care of tens of acres of land, it’ll probably be more convenient to just buy a gas-powered weed eater. You’re more likely to have large weeds, and you’ll have to swap out batteries a few times – and then manage recharging.
Selecting the best weed eater among the plethora of options available in the market may be a daunting task. To simplify things for you, we have reviewed some of the best products for your convenience.
Our Picks For The Best Battery Powered Weed Eaters
- The PowerDrive Transmission delivers more power from the motor to the cutting string so you can get the job done faster
- 40V MAX* lithium battery for long runtime
- PowerCommand dial to choose between MAX power and MAX runtime
- The Automatic Feed Spool ensures continuous work without bumping
The Black+Decker LST136W is a great fit for most urban and suburban yards. It’s the string trimmer I have for my home – my yard isn’t that big but I do have quite a few areas to knock down weed growth. It’s the perfect fit for your home if you don’t encounter weeds thicker than 3/4″ wide – the string that comes on the spool is too small to handle those vegetative beasts.
It’s lightweight at just under 8 pounds so it won’t tire you out as quickly as some heavier weed wackers.
Not just a trimmer, this multipurpose garden tool can also serve as an edger. It takes under 30 seconds to transform your eater into an edger. You now can easily edge along your patio or walkway. I don’t use this feature that much, but it is handy to have for those times I need it.
40-Volt Max Lithium Ion Battery
Black + Decker has an entire line of tools that run off the 40-volt MAX system. That means you can buy various tools that use these batteries and use them interchangeably. I went whole-hog, and bought both the leaf blower and lawn mower that use these batteries.
I haven’t been disappointed.
I’ve found that I can get around 50 mins of usage on average from my trimmer on one charge. That compares to 15- 20 mins of mower time. If I didn’t have spare batteries already, I’d probably order another one when I bought the trimmer just for convenience sake. It’s nice to have a battery charging while one is being used.
I’ve found my 2 amp batteries take between 1.5-2.5 hrs to recharge. The time depends on how hot the battery is (was it just used or sitting around), and the temperature in my garage where my charger is located. Heat isn’t your friend when dealing with lithium-ion recharging.
Automatic Line Feed Spool
This is another excellent feature and can prove to be a big time-saver. This will allow you to work continuously and there is no need for manually adjusting the spool. It also eliminates the need to make frequent adjustments in the spool.
Adjustable Height and Handle
The height of the handle of the trimmer can be customized depending on the length that is preferred. This means that whether you are short or tall, you can expect that the shaft will be right for your needs. An easy to open and close clasp requires means you need no tools to adjust to the perfect height.
This is an innovative powertrain feature that is found in most of the string trimmers from Black & Decker. The manufacturer claims it provides the cutting string with more force than their previous transmission models. I didn’t own a previous model so I don’t know if that’s true, but it seems plenty powerful for my needs. This doesn’t come at the expense of mobility or longevity. With this battery-powered trimmer, you’ll be able to move about the yard controlling weeds for 45 minutes+ per battery charge.
- Comes with one 32V MaxLithium battery, 3 trimmer spools and charger
- 3-in-1 Capability with dual-position wheels for grass trimming, edging, and mowing. The battery and charger are packaged separately from the tool, but in the same box.
- Converts from a trimmer to an in-line edger in seconds with no tools
- Quick-release lever for fast telescopic height adjustments, and for the 90-degree tilting head
This weed whacker is a great choice for people who have small yards and don’t want a separate lawnmower. This tool not only converts into an edger, but also into a small mower. It’s not for everyone, but it is a great choice for the right homeowner.
12-inch Cutting Diameter with Wheels
This isn’t the widest trimmer out there, but the wheels do make it possible to use it as a mini-mower. Of course, you don’t have to use the wheels, but it’s a nice feature for those who are afraid they will tire holding the trimmer. There are many reviews that indicate people do use this as a replacement for their mower so if storage space is an issue you should consider this tool.
32-volt Max Lithium Battery
Dependable power even on the go – this is one thing that you can expect from this product. Since it is battery-powered, you can work anywhere. There is no need to have a source of electricity near you. Also, because it is cordless, you can easily move as you use this product.
Quick Release Lever
One thing that makes this a versatile choice is the adjustable height. Simply release the lever and in an instant, you can increase or decrease the length of the shaft. This will allow you to have it customized depending on the requirements of a specific task.
It is also a good thing that the string trimmer is lightweight. Even if you will need to hold it for a long time, there should be no problem. It is not as exhausting as most of its heavier counterparts.
Overall, Worx 32-volt G2.0 String Trimmer is a good pick because it’s a triple threat. For the right consumer, this product is a great buy. The Black+Decker above is a better choice for people without a need for the mini-mower functionality.
- Attachment capable, accepts most gas attachments to provide mulitple use
- Brushless motor delivers greater torque, quieter operation and higher battery efficiency
- Starts within seconds with gas comparable performance, battery compatible with multiple tools
- Battery and Charger include. Compatible with battery models 29462 and 29472 and charger 29482
This weed eater is built for larger yards. The battery is bigger than most and the motor delivers more power. The trimming cut is larger than average. While that means it’s a few pounds heavier and harder to handle, if you need to cover a good-sized yard the Greenworks 21362 is a good choice for you. This is the pick for power-hungry yardies.
This is a big battery. Most other brands come with 2.0AH batteries, so it’s a decent step up in power storage over the competition. When it is fully-charged, it can power the unit for over an hour. On the other hand, when the battery is drained, charging it will take only approximately 120 minutes. It does add to the weight, which is why this product weighs in around 12 pounds.
Instant Electric Start
In the case of the traditional string trimmers, effort will be required in pulling the string to launch the unit. In the case of this model, such is not one thing that you have to do. You can simply push a button, and in an instant, the unit will be ready to work.
DigiPro Brushless Motor
The design and power of the motor is also commendable. It is created in such a way that it will deliver powerful performance that is comparable to those that are powered by gas. However, it is different in the sense that this product operates without emissions and with minimal noise.
14-inch Cutting Path
Another thing that makes this a remarkable product is the diameter of its cutting radius. This simply means that you will be able to do more within a single pass. You do not need to wait for a long time before you are done with trimming.
Not everyone needs this much power – but if you think your yard might, it’s a solid choice.
- Sweeper is ideal for clearing driveways, sidewalks, decks, garages
- String trimmer features Automatic Feed Spool; no bumping required
- Lightweight design, low noise levels
- (2) 20V MAX Lithium Ion 1.5Ah batteries
The real selling point is the bundling of the leaf blower in this purchase. Neither tool will break power records, and using 20V batteries isn’t future-proofing yourself in this day and age. But it’s cheap, and both products will get the job done. Considering you get both a blower and a weed eater for almost half the price of some other trimmers alone, it’s definitely a good value. It’s so inexpensive that if I bought this package, I’d probably spend some of the savings on the extended warranty just for piece of mind.
20-volt Max Lithium Ion Battery
20 volt batteries are in the twilight of their product cycle. They work, but 40V and higher batteries have entered the mainstream. Still, this bundle is cheap.
Runtime Extension Technology
It comes with a dual mode accelerator switch. This allows you to move up and down the motor speed so you can conserve battery juice when it’s not needed. All B+D weed whackers tend to have this feature.
2-in-1 Functionality + A Blower
Look, you get another tool for the shed when you buy this combo. Plus the trimmer can also be an edger, just like most B+D products. You won’t set any world land records using these yard products, but they will get the job done.
Indeed, Black+Decker LCC420 String Trimmer has what it takes to be ranked as one of the best within the product category. It has an exceptional battery that holds charge for a long time. It also has excellent transmission for better cutting power, even in tough applications. It is also a plus that it has a lightweight body, which makes it easy to use.
- Gear drive design powers through tough overgrowth
- 15" cutting swath with 0.080" line (also accepts 0.095")
- High-efficiency brushless motor maximizes run time and motor life
- Variable speed trigger with Hi/Lo speed control
This DeWALT trimmer is a beast.
60V. 9AH. 15 inch cutting swath. With stats like this, it’s as close to a gas replacement for pure power as there is on the market.
It accepts larger string sizes than any of the other trimmers we spoke about earlier. So if you do live in the weeds, this is a great choice. With enough batteries, you can tackle almost any sized yard. It is heavier (some people have pleaded for a shoulder-strap to help with the load) but that’s the be expected with the bigger motor and battery.
Of course, it’s more expensive. But at least you’re getting quality for the money. DeWALT is a well-known brand with a quality reputation.
In my opinion – it’s overkill for most people at this price. But if you have a specific need for this much power and the budget to buy it, it’s a great choice.
Overview of Battery Powered Weed Eater
Depending on what your specific needs are, a cordless battery power weed eater will fit almost every need. They are easy to use, reliable and powerful. Nowadays they are almost the same as a gas powered one, but a fraction of the cost. Even if you have a larger yard, the battery life in the ones mentioned above will be long enough to get through an average to large sized yard. For the price, you really can’t beat the value with what you get.