Electric weed eaters, or corded weed eaters as some like to call them have become a popular choice for homeowners across the world for many reasons. But just like anything, there are both advantages, and disadvantages that come with them.
This guide will help you determine if a corded weed eater is right for you by providing all the details; as well as pros and cons. We even have the top 3 corded weed eaters that we recommend.
Overview of Corded Electric Weed Eater
Reasons for Choosing This Type
- Lightweight: Corded string trimmers are very lightweight. They will be the lightest of any type of weed eater on the market.
- Quiet: They barely make a sound. Especially compared to a gas powered trimmer.
- Still Powerful: Despite their past, corded trimmers do pack quite the punch and deliver plenty of power.
- Efficient: With no need for gas, corded trimmers can go forever without stopping
- Easy to Use: There’s no mixing of gas, pulling to start and no maintenance. You simply plug them in and pull a trigger.
Electric trimmers have many benefits aside from the ones listed above. They also have some disadvantages that well talk about in a second.
- Limited Mobility: You are limited to the area you can trim due to the power cord. If you run out of cord, you can’t go any further.
- Not as Powerful: Although they do have plenty of power, they are the least powerful of any type of weed eater as a whole.
Ideal Uses for Corded Trimmers
Electric, corded trimmers are ideal for small yards and people who don’t like messing with difficult tools. They are very easy to use and will handle most day to day lawn care jobs. If you are looking for a lightweight and easy to use trimmer that is affordable and reliable, an electric trimmer is what you need.
Reviews of Best Electric Weed Eater on the Market
There are hundreds of electric trimmers on the market, but no 2 are the same. Some are good, others pure junk. We have compiled a list of the best sellers and top rated corded trimmers on the market to help you pick the best possible one.
One of the most versatile and reliable corded trimmer you will find is the Black and Decker MTE912. This tool will be all you need to cut and trim a small yard.
This trimmer acts as a lawn mower, trimmer and edger, all in one tool!
All in One Trimmer
The trimmer attaches to a base with wheels and can be used to mow a small yard with ease. Take off the trimmer from the base and use it trim those pesky weeds. Finally, flip the trimmer head over and use it to edge your pathways for a complete job that will look great.
Despite its size and lightweight, it’s powerful enough to do most small to average size job. The total unit weighs just 13 pounds when put together. But the trimmer itself is much lighter when you take it off the base.
It does use a cord to get its power, so you will need to purchase an extension cord if you don’t already have one.
Its power is derived from a 6.5 amp motor that is reliable and efficient. It’s deigned to be quiet, yet powerful and very easy to use. The transmission is also well built. It was made so that it does not get bogged down when cutting through thicker weeds.
The trimmer itself has an auto feed spool to feed string to your trimmer head all the time. Its 12” cutting diameter will get the job done fast as well.
Easy to Use
The unit is very easy to use despite its many features. Simply lock the trimmer onto the base by snapping it in. Pull the trigger on the trimmer and push like you would a regular push mower. The wheels on the base can be adjusted to cut the grass at different heights.
Quite possibly, one of the most versatile and reliable string trimmers on the market, this unit is ideal for small yards up to 1,200 square feet. It’s built by one of the leaders in power tools Black and Decker, so you know you are getting quality.
- Powerful 6.5 amp motor for maximum performance and durability
- Gear drive offers consistent power to tackle most grass types
- Lightweight and ergonomic design for easy handling and increased user comfort
- Two height adjustments with pivoting handle positions for maximum control and comfort
- Automated Feed Spool guarantees constant operation with no bumping
- Adjustable height to accommodate weeds of various heights
- 3-in-1 design that easily switches from trimmer to edger/mower
- 12-inch cutting path speeds up the trimming process
This is yet another lightweight weed eater innovated by GreenWorks – a top manufacturer and supplier of power equipment. This machine weighs just 6.9 pounds and comes in a compact size of 10.8 x 16 x 58 inches. Such a design minimizes user fatigue for long-hour operations. It comes in a corded design with a long power cord that enables you tackle a large area without having to frequently shift from one power switch to another. This helps to minimize frequent power interruptions
5.5 AMP Power
Powered by a 5.5 amp motor, it has more than enough oomph to get the job done. Like all GreenWorks trimmers and tools, it was designed to last. You should be using this trimmer for a long time.
Other features include a telescoping handle to fit most body types and added ease of use. There’s also a pivoting trimmer head that allows you to get in to tough to reach spots. The ergonomic handle is designed to offer complete control and comfort to reduce fatigue.
The machine comes with various gas attachments to offer multiple use. This enables you to perform different tasks on just a single unit, which makes it a more flexible and economical unit for the job. Its double string is highly durable and does an excellent job on even tall weeds. It offers one of the widest cutting swath of 15 inches with 0.080 line diameter. This helps you speed up the slashing process.
Overall, this is one of the most versatile and powerful corded trimmers we have ever seen. It’s very easy to use, yet intuitive enough to make for a complete, all in one tool.
- Advanced attachment that accommodates multiple use
- Powerful 5.5 amp motor for enhanced durability and exceptional performance
- 15-inch diameter cutting path for more speedy trimming operations
- Cord lock feature eliminates cord entanglement for a more convenient operation
- Lightweight and compact construction for easy handling
- Simple electric start allows for easy operation
Incorporating a lightweight design of 7.5 pounds with a dimension of 5.9 x 9.8 x 40.2 inches, this is one excellent tool that speaks to the company’s reputation. One of the best features of this trimmer is the cord. Unlike most corded trimmers, the 51480 trimmer does not feature any cord limitations. It comes with an extra-long power cord that is perfectly attached so that it won’t get tangled up while you are working.
The powerful 120V AC, 5 amp motor allows you to effortlessly cut through thick weeds and grass. This high-speed motor is designed for increased durability and reliability. It is one motor that will last you for many years to come, which makes it an economical long-term investment.
Like all Toro products, this is designed to perform multi functions so that you don’t have to buy extra tools – saving you money! The trimmer head pivots and turns into an edger at the push of a button. There’s also wheels to help guide the edger for a perfect looking cut.
The aluminum shaft is long enough to reach into tight spots that other trimmers can’t. Not only is it versatile, its material is lightweight and durable. There’s an assist handle on the shaft as well. This makes for even greater control and less user fatigue.
A wide cutting path of 14” is offered on the trimmer head. It also has an auto feed spool that lets you keep working, instead of always bumping the head for more string.
The Toro is a great trimmer for small to medium size yards. Its versatility and durability make it a great option. It comes with a 2 year warranty to help keep your mind at ease as well.
- Lightweight construction minimizes user fatigue and provides easy handling
- Extra-large 14-inch cutting path provides more speedy operations
- Automatic Feed Trim Line adjusts to provide the perfect cutting length
- Durable and rust-resistant aluminum shaft offers extended reach
- Ergonomically designed assist handle for additional comfort and balance
- Powerful 5 amp motor allows you to easily trim thick grass and weeds
- Easy and quick switch from trimmer to edger
Electric weed eaters serve a great purpose. They are a cost effective way for those with smaller yards to get their yard work done. Even if you have a medium size yard with thicker weeds, an electric weed eater will be a solid buy.
They are powerful, very easy to use and offer a wide range of functions.
Most choose them because there is no need to mess with gas or other messy aspects. They last a long time with little to no maintenance. And did we mention they are very easy to use!
Their low cost also appeals to most looking for a best weed eater. When you consider all that you get with an electric trimmer, you really can’t beat the price.